Tuesday, November 15, 2011

On being Thankful

We aren't Thankful enough. I'm not, you're not. We are not. I hate to be the bad news breaker but it's the truth. Around this time of year we start to pay attention to such things. We write daily "I'm thankful for..." posts on FB or our blogs or make family members come up with something at the dinner table. (a game that I do not enjoy) I've done all of these things...also I'm doing it now despite my shit talking. Most of us live pretty great lives, healthy, decent job, 100 pairs of shoes (or whatever your irrational obsession is), great friends, family, pets. Many blessings, right? So why is it that we wait until this time of year to be the most grateful? Tradition I'm assuming and also it's too cold to do anything else. So instead of a list of what I'm Thankful for I'm going to throw out some ideas on how to share the love & recognize our blessings all year round. I'd love some input & feedback. Also if you feel the pull to say what you're thankful for you can add that too.

1. Job- our bosses remember complaints, mistakes & negative comments. People generally call to report a problem or complaint so I say we counter act this. Excellent service deserves a call as well. Employers LOVE to hear that someone is doing a great job as opposed to someone bitching. (whether it's justified or not) Have you ever called to report great service? Try it. Here's why: positivity breeds positivity. We all want to hear that we are doing a great job & that we are appreciated. All of us. No exceptions. So your call will make someone's day perhaps even their week. Feeling like you're doing well in your work place will make you more grateful for your employment. And happier to go to work every day. See how this works?! Love spreading. It's an epidemic.

2. Friends, family, Facebook friend's
I love you goes a long way. Pretty simple, tell those closest to you that you love them, appreciate them, like their shirt... Whatever. Honestly, I'm not the best at this. But I'm making an effort. My issue is that I HATE the phone. I don't like lengthy conversations. But I've found that a simple text or email also goes a long way. "thinking about you, miss your face, I love you" I think we take each other for granted thinking we will always have tomorrow. Which, unfortunately isn't always the case. So I'd say it's important to share the love today. Show those you love that you're thankful for them all year.

3. Time- give back. Volunteer, help those that have less than we do. I'm very lucky to be surrounded by loving people. Friends & family that don't hesitate to offer their time & services to those in need. I'm thankful for that. (sneaky Thankfulness) I think when you give your time you are rewarded beyond measure. And as most of us don't have a lot of it generally it is more difficult to give than money. Participating in selfless acts generally reminds us of how much we have. Sometimes we all need a little dose of reality, a smack down if you will. For me this helps.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'd like to spread some year round love. I added some "turkey" pictures for you. Just to add a little holiday spirit. (one is the flag of Turkey, because I think I'm clever)

1 comment:

  1. i'm so glad you're blogging! Love this post and I miss your face Emac! : )

    ReplyDelete