Saturday, November 19, 2011

A healthy"ish" dessert for your Thanksgiving festivities

Those of you who know me know that I am constantly trying to achieve the perfect diet. Delicious & healthy which is hard to come by sometimes. And as I am not a meat eater my Thanksgiving meal usually consists of potatoes, bread & pie. Carb fest. I would usually try to avoid eating this way as I enjoy veggies and think they should come with every meal. But who eats healthy during the holidays?! So I've been on an Internet search for some alternatives to the traditional Thanksgiving goodies. I came across this dip on the Mayo clinic website. (thanks doc's) for a dessert or appetizer. Granted it's not supremely healthy but it's gotta be better than that second piece of pie.

Here it is complete with advice from Mayo's dietitians.

Dietitian's tip:
This light dessert stands in nicely for calorie-rich pumpkin pie. You can also use it as a spread for bagels.
By Mayo Clinic staff
Serves 12

Ingredients

Spread:
8 ounces low-fat cream cheese (room temperature)
3/4 cup of canned pumpkin (unsweetened, unsalted)
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Serve with:
6 apples sliced

Directions

Mix all ingredients for the spread together in a mixing bowl by hand or with an electric mixer (medium speed). Serve with apple slices for dipping.

Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
Serving size: about 3 tablespoons
Calories 107 Cholesterol 10 mg
Protein 2 g Sodium 91 mg
Carbohydrate 18 g Fiber 3 g
Total fat 3 g Potassium 177 mg
Saturated fat 2 g Calcium 39 mg
Monounsaturated fat 1 g

Sounds great right?!! I'm thinking you could add celery, strawberries (or other dip able fruits) and maybe even whole wheat crackers?!! So here you get your sweet fix and less guilt. I love to have my pumpkin pie dip & eat it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment